Disclosure: This page includes affiliate program links. I may receive a referral fee if you sign up with a service through the links on this page. I personally use every blogging product or service mentioned unless specified otherwise.
A lot goes into setting up, running and promoting a successful blog. You can learn why I started Dividends Diversify on my about page. If you are thinking about starting your own blog, read on.
I hope highlighting the service providers I use will help you along your way. I may receive a small commission if you purchase a product through the links below. The commission helps defray the costs of running Dividends Diversify and helps me to continue writing and promoting quality educational content in the dividend growth investing and personal finance niche.
I registered my domain name (www.dividendsdiversify.com) with GoDaddy. It was a pretty simple and low cost process. They help you select and ensure the domain name you wish to use is not already registered by someone else.
WEB HOSTING AND SITE DESIGN IN ONE STOP SHOPPING
I wanted a self hosted blog platform versus a hosted platform. I wanted the control and flexibility that self-hosting offers. However, self-hosting comes with some disadvantages. Namely set up, blog design, maintenance and security. To get the best of all worlds: the control of self hosting and the ease of implementation and support of a hosted platform, I chose StudioPress Sites.
Other than a domain name, everything you need to build a WordPress website comes included: WordPress is preinstalled and automatically hosted on fully managed WordPress optimized servers. They take care of backups, site security, software updates and support.
You also get easy access to a selection of high-quality WordPress themes built on the Genesis framework and plugins as part of your plan. Bottom line, StudioPress Sites puts all the highest quality blogging components together in one package for efficient one stop shopping and set up.
Think of the Genesis framework as the foundation of a house and a theme as the paint and trim that gives it curb appeal. Genesis is a tried-and-tested theme framework, and StudioPress has produced some of the best WordPress themes available. You won’t have to worry about the performance, mobile friendliness, search engine optimization, or security of your website’s foundation and design.
Blogging is much more work than people realize. Let StudioPress Sites take some of that work off your plate. I have loved everything about StudioPress Sites. It is a higher cost option, but it’s great if you are serious about blogging for the long term, desire to monetize your blog and don’t want the additional work that comes from self hosting and putting the pieces together yourself.
WEB HOSTING AND SITE DESIGN STEP BY STEP
Based on my research, there are other great ways to get your blog started. One that I found is Bluehost.
Everything I learned about Bluehost indicated that you get an affordable hosting plan and excellent customer service. With Bluehost, you can sign up, get your domain directly from Bluehost, choose a free theme and be blogging in a short amount of time. Bluehost is very efficient and cost effective. As your blog grows and you desire better design and functionality, you can add on step by step:
- Step 1: Get hosting by Bluehost, choose a free theme and be blogging in a short time. Keep in mind you will be limited in capability and updates with a free theme.
- Step 2: Acquire the Genesis framework from Studio Press and do your own customized blog design. This can be a bit technical, so you may want to think about doing the next step at the same time,
- Step 3: Acquire a fully designed theme built on the Genesis framework through StudioPress
I started with the end in mind, so StudioPress Sites was the best option for me. It bundles all 3 steps into 1. But, you may desire to go step by step and enhance your blogs design and capability over time. If so, Bluehost is a great way to go.
Blogging is a lot more fun when visitors come to your site and read what you are writing about. That’s where blog promotion comes in. I promote new and archived content on Dividends Diversify in three primary ways:
- Networking with and promoting other bloggers content in the personal finance and investing niche. This is free and it’s fun to correspond on other blogs.
- Using Buffer to schedule several Twitter tweets a day about content on Dividends Diversify. I use the free tool at buffer where I can queue up to ten tweets at a time. I tweet about my new and archived blog posts as well as posts from other bloggers to promote their content.
- Using the Pinterest pin scheduling tools from BoardBooster and Tailwind to pin Dividends Diversify content or a regular basis to my Pinterest boards. I really enjoyed learning about and setting up my Pinterest home page with different Pinterest boards. However, pinning your blog content on a regular basis is important, but time consuming. BoardBooster and/or Tailwind can save you a lot of time.
BOARDBOOSTER OR TAILWIND
There are strengths and weaknesses with both BoardBooster and Tailwind. I have used both, but currently use BoardBooster. Once you set up BoardBooster, there is very little ongoing maintenance. That is one reason why I like it. Tailwind is also an excellent tool. In my opinion it is more cost effective for high volume pinning. However, it requires more weekly effort to schedule pins.
I hope you consider these resources and they help you along your blogging journey.